Sunset, outside the house. Wombat Forest in the distance. Aah, summer nights! Soon the blustery winter winds will leave you breathless but for now, just stand still in the setting sun.
Daylesford has had splendid weather so far this summer. Cool nights, warm afternoons, occasional rain. The garden has certainly loved it. Gooseberries are plentiful at the moment, other things bud with promise still… It has just had a major haircut and is looking neater than what is perhaps the wilder norm. Actually, looking at these pictures I think it looks pretty rampant still but that is what happens, look away for a second and the wily tendrils are running the show again.
It has been a wet winter so I felt the need for some new games, if you like playing boardgames I have some great ones! Some for 1-2, some you need 4 players, but if you are bringing your friends you can have a games night.
and it won’t be this.
Nor will it be this tree, embedded in the wall. As you can see, I have ringbarked it so it at least won’t get any bigger until I can get around to it.
Before I start fixing up the building I will have to remove this mess. Digging, digging…
Here is something pretty instead. The grapes are nearly ripe! They may be small, but so sweet and delicious.
Because I have the benefit of being 12 inside yet with the decision making capacities of someone WAY older, if I feel the urge to have a boat in the garden then I can! Hooray! See the older Boat post if you like, here’s a recap picture: Actual boat and the general plan.
It was in worse nick than I had hoped for. Here is the floor once I ripped it out. When I tried to scrape the old paint I was actually scraping away the boat itself. There’s no denying it, this will always be a fragile friend.
Once the floor was gone I could see the sleepers I had rested the boat on. I covered the whole lot with weedmat, byebye ivy! Water will still be able to run through the weedmat. Then I used three lengths of sturdy treated pine and nailed them down. The well itself is 1,8 metres long, it is a deceptively large boat really.
From here it was a simple thing to screw down some decking. Just a little fiddly as each board has to be slightly longer than the next (and angled) as the well is shaped from narrow to wide. The thing in the middle is to take the centre support for the seat which will come soon.
On On the outside I attached braces to the sleepers to keep the boat steady. New seat, some new ply on top of the old, some fibreglass work which is a delight, like papier mache for outdoors but HARD to get right, I am settling for strong and not pretty. The whole job is a bit rough really, but I feel there are limits to how much money and effort I am prepared to put on something essentially quite derelict.
Monet’s boat would not be that if it didn’t have a hut at one end.
I also made an awning in very thin plywood to keep most of the leaves out. As for durability, the whole boat is made from that stuff so I guess it will last for as long as the boat will.
The possums play pirates in the boat at night. Or something. It became an obvious name! It is no longer Monet’s boat, but Dame Edna Everage’s.
More photos taken by guests, for the competition. Thank you so much, they are great!
And some of Daylesford as well… Gorgeous!
I had a very original competition entry today. I have asked for photos, but I got a drawing instead. I am so happy, such effort! Here it is, the Further Adventures of Baron von Mueller.
He even drew the goldfish, and the stone path.